Arlington Elementary School was organized in 1899 and held its first classes in a small frame house, which still stands just up the street from the present building on Arceme Avenue. Construction was completed on a two-room building in 1901 at the current site. Before 1935, the building had received a couple of renovations, but in 1935 all of the existing structure except for four rooms was demolished to make way for an improved facility. Since that time, there have been several additions to the building, including renovations in 1975.
Arlington's latest renovation began during the 2008-09 school year and was completed in the fall of 2010. During the extensive project, students and staff members were temporarily relocated to the former Johnson Elementary building. Classes resumed in the renovated Arlington Elementary on Oct. 11, 2010.